ElaineHowlinBooks

Elaine Howlin

I love to read and talk about books. I don't like to limit myself to a particular genre but I read mostly urban fantasy, paranormal romance, literary fiction and classics. In my posts, I chat about the books I've read, any recommendations I have, readathons and reading challenges, book tags and whatever other bookish stuff I can think of! Basically, I want us to be book buddies so let's chat! Get in touch with me :)

Loved every minute of this rip-roaring ride of a book!

— feeling love
Shadow's Bane - Karen Chance

With typical audacious Dory style and humour, we’re back in Chance’s world of vampires and fae. In this instalment, we follow Dory on her first job with the Senate searching for smugglers looking to benefit from the upcoming war.

As with all of Chance’s books, this is full of action and so fast paced you will be on the edge of your seat!… if it’s possible to be on the edge of your seat reading a book… The book is quite a bit longer than previous instalments but with such a long gap between publications, the extra bit of recapping at the beginning was greatly appreciated but does slow progression of the plot for the first 100 or so pages.

Once that’s out of the way we’re treated to the most entertaining book in the series that also does a lot to expand the universe of both the Dorina series and the Cassandra Palmer series. I absolutely loved the glimpses into Mircea’s past as a young vampire and the growing dynamic between Dory and her alter ego vampire self Dorina. There’s a lot going on there I never suspected and I can’t wait to see where it goes. We get a lot of growth in relationships and in who the characters are in this one as well especially with Dorina, Mircea and Caedmon.

Loved every minute of this one and can’t wait for the next. Dragon’s Claw, a Dorina/Pritkin crossover novella is due out the end of this month.

Favourite Quote: “There are a thousand ways to die,” he told me quietly. “There are so few really to live. I would gladly risk the former for the latter, and it is my choice, is it not? To risk whatever I must, my heart, my body, my soul, in order to be with you. Is that not what love is? – Louis-Cesare

Source: http://elainehowlin.wordpress.com/2018/08/13/shadows-bane-by-karen-chance